Saturday, June 28, 2008

Silent Ending / Secret Cynic

I went and saw The Happening today. It was a good movie.

Like his other movies it was advertised as a brainless thriller but was actually a very thinly-veiled manifesto.

Can you say mixing mediums?

As much as I usually love what it is he's trying to say with a film, and as much as I love the style and mood and weird pseudo-realism of his films, he sometimes comes across as very Bono about the message, at least to me, somewhat. As in, like he expects you to be stupid when you come in to see his movie, and that's why he actually wants to trick you into coming into the theatre so he can sit you down and cram a message down your throat, and if you're too stupid to understand it it's your own damn fault.

But I'm not sure that it's a bad thing, even if I say it like it is.

The acting was actually a little bad. Not badly done, just... bad. Mark Whale-Iceberg's character was whiny and I felt 0% emotional attachment to anyone in the film, except for a few seconds in the middle of the movie where I felt really sad, and then I stopped caring.

It had the potential to be a really unbelievably cool movie, but it was just okay. Maybe I'll change my mind about it. It was a good movie. Not great, or even very good. Just... good. See it or whatever.


No comments: